The St. Croix Seventh-day Adventist School Welcomes You
The St. Croix Seventh-day Adventist School is in its 68th year of operation. Our graduates are to be found in every profession, in many parts of the world. They are doctors, lawyers, business people, dentists, teachers, ministers of the gospel, politicians, scientists, computer analysts and programmers, college and university professors, nurses, and many others. They are leaders of organizations and institutions.
The St. Croix Seventh-day Adventist School has a rich history. We will do everything to preserve that history. At our school, our parents and students come first. We emphasize character education, the moral development of our students, and their preparation for this life and for eternity. These are our priorities. Our dedicated administration and staff will go the extra mile to ensure that your students’ needs are met in the most satisfactory way.
Our Focus During the 2011/2012 School Year
The Administration and Staff are determined to accomplish the following:
- To ensure that parents are heard and their views are considered.
- To take no parent or student for granted, but to continuously win their trust.
- To respond to all calls and e-mails within 24 hour periods.
- To keep parents informed of the successes and challenges of all students within a timely manner.
- To meet with all parents and students during parent/teacher/student conferences for the school year.
- To follow a clearly established grievance procedure whereby our first line of contact will always be the one who is involved, then we move up the line until we reach the principal or the board. Our aim is to solve all problems at the source or as near to the source as possible.
- To treat every parent and student with dignity and respect at ALL TIMES.
- To provide the highest quality education in the Virgin Island for the most affordable price.
- To put people first.
- To create a caring community while pursuing excellence.
A BRIEF HISTORY AND OVERVIEW OF THE ST. CROIX SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST SCHOOL
The St. Croix Seventh-day Adventist School places a high estimate on the infinite worth of every individual and seeks to provide a climate in which a positive self-image may be developed. It recognizes the necessity of providing opportunities for students to secure a preparation that will fit them to live successfully and productively. It encourages students to take an active interest in making the community a better place to live and to develop positive attitudes toward useful labor and toward their fellow men.
The mission of the St. Croix Seventh-Day Adventist School is to provide and develop the basic learning skills necessary to prepare students for life. It seeks to present Jesus Christ and encourage an unwavering commitment to Him. It also endeavors to develop physical, social, and moral graces that will make them invaluable contributors to society.
The program at the St. Croix SDA School is shaped by the following philosophy:
“True education means more that the perusal of a certain course of study. It means more than a preparation for the life that now is. It has to do with the whole being, and with the whole period of existence possible to man. It is the harmonious development of the physical, mental, and the spiritual powers. It prepares the student for the joy of service in this world, and for the higher joy of wider service in the world to come.”
In harmony with this philosophy, the school has adopted the following motto:
STRIVING FOR EXCELLENCE
Through developing the Mental,
Physical, and Spiritual Powers.
BRIEF HISTORICAL OVERVIEW
Following the recommendation that when a church has six (6) or more children of school age a school should be started, the Christiansted SDA Church established a school in 1946.
By 1965 the enrollment was 141 with a staff of four and a budget of $11,000.00. By 1970 the enrollment of the school was 456. During this period, classes were limited to the 10th grade. Students would attend Central High School to complete 11th and 12th grades. Grade 11 was added in 1975 and grade 12 in 1976.
The present school site was acquired in 1976 and classes began in 1977. During the period of 1977 to 1982, the enrollment rose to 730 students. Presently, the enrollment is 175 with students from kindergarten to 12th grade. The Pre-K class is expected to re-open shortly.
Under the current conditions (lack of space, equipment, and facilities) it is extremely difficult to meet the mental, physical, and spiritual needs of our students.
Our school has educated many people who continue to make outstanding contributions globally. We have successful alumni in careers including education, medicine, law, and architectural engineering, just to name a few.
The school is funded by tuition received from students, contributions from SDA churches on the island, and subsidies from the North Caribbean Conference of Seventh-day Adventists.
In order to effectively achieve our goals, we have formulated a new strategy. This plan will take the academic, physical, and financial structures of the school to new heights. To this end, we know that He who has begun a good work in us is faithful to complete it.
||A new school year is upon us.
We can attest to God's blessings to the family of the St. Croix Seventh-day Adventist school. I join with the board, the rest of the administration, staff, parents, and returning students to welcome all our new parents and students to our school. Welcome to your home away from home. Let us team up together to make our school the best school that your child will ever attend.
Here are some vital bits of information that would excite you:
- The St. Croix SDA School takes pride in ensuring that our entire students body graduates.
- In many years 100% of our graduates go off to college/university.
- Our classes are small, intimate, and interactive.
Many of our students who take the standardized test, The Iowa Test of Basic Skills, perform two or three grades above their actual grade level.
- On the same testing measure, several of our 7th and 8th grade students perform at the 13th grade plus level. This means that 7th and 8th graders are performing at the level of first year of college.
- Our students out-perform many of their colleagues at colleges and universities.
- Every year one or two of our 11th graders get accepted to the University of the Virgin Islands (UVI) on scholarships. Acceptance is based on outstanding scores on the SAT's scores.
- One of our 11th grade students, Jacena Howell, was one of only 4 students in the entire US and its territories to get a scholarship from Beijing University in China to study during the summer of 2014.
- Our students take part in national and regional competitions: essay writing competitions, moot court, spelling bee, and poetry out loud to name a few.
- Our students take part in science fair.
- Technology plays a significant role in our instructions: each class has a smart board. Our students in elementary-, middle-, and high school use tablets (iPads) and other electronic devices as tools of learning.
So you can see that the St. Croix SDA School is the place where you want your child to be. Add to the above, the fact that we place great emphases on character development, values education while emphasizing the need for students to be prepared for service here and now, but also to be prepared for life in eternity.
Welcome to our new school year. Enjoy your school. Let us make it a place where all have fun while we learn.
Dr. Hamil Tobias
St. Croix Seventh-day Adventist School
1 & 2 Holgers Hope
Christiansted, VI 00820
P.O. Box 930
Christiansted, VI 00821-0930